Wednesday, April 13, 2011

MY GAME PLAN CONTINUES

Indicator: 1) Facilitate and Inspire Student’s Learning and Creativity
As I continue to accomplish my goal of creating lessons for my students they will allow for more creativity, problem solving, communication, and collaboration skills, I have gained knowledge about how to use digital storytelling as an instructional tools to help increase student achievement in my class.  According to the NETS-S standards, teachers should be implementing activities that will promote a stimulating learning environment where students can exhibit essential skills that will allow them to grow academically. Digital storytelling is an instructional strategy  that will give students another way of demonstrating content knowledge that they have acquired in my class.  After reviewing this week resources, I now understand the impact of incorporating digital storytelling into my lesson because this instructional strategy supports the advance digital age learning requirements.I have also located a very helpful website which is www.learnnc.org it features classroom teaching resources, K-12 lesson plans, assessments, web links, and professional development guide. I can learn on my own from articles and multimedia, tips for best teaching practices, or take an instructor-led CEU credits— all correlated to the North Carolina Professional Teaching Standards. 

Indicator 5: Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
I am continuing to review the Shelly Cashman textbook so that I can increase my knowledge about the content of MOUS certification.  I have found that part of my curriculum can be added to my instruction to give student’s additional practice with understanding the modules in MS Word. I now know that because of the many different ability levels of my students that I will have to create a checklist for students to record each lesson so that they stay abreast of their current status.  Students will have the flexibility of moving on to the next modules when they feel comfortable with the concepts.  My school received a two million technology grant which will allow students to have more access to additional resources for learning. They have also posted several technology positions for the upcoming school year which I am interested in applying.  I am planning on being very instrumental in assisting with implementing this grant so that my school can benefit by helping teachers hone their computer skills which will drive instructions in the classroom.   

3 comments:

  1. Hazel,

    Congratulations on your district obtaining a technology grant. I was having a discussion this week with my mom regarding students needing to become 21st century learners. With all of the budget cuts and such going on in education, its a shame that we have to resort to grant writing and such to obtain monies for technology. To have a goal such as making students 21st cnetury learners, we don't always have the technology to do so. This class has helped me to realize what technology is. It is not only limited to using devices. The internet presents us with other technologies, sometimes for free that we can use with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hazel,
    That is great news about the grant. This should make for some very exciting possibilities.

    I agree--digital storytelling is very valuable--it can scaffold the creative process as well as the cognitive aspects via concept maps, speech to text--and other multi-media features--collaboration is also promoted.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your grant. You are really opening up some great opportunities for yourself and your students. I found that digital storytelling is a great tool in my social studies classes, and love to hear about it being used in other courses. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete